Welcome Message

This blog is part of my own journey of reconciliation. There is only one agenda here; that is, to seek God's truth concerning homosexuality. If you are visiting for the first time, welcome! A great place to start is the introductory posts that explain this blog's purpose, my perspective and presuppositions, and a plan of attack for the shape the blog will take.

Thursday, April 5, 2007

The First Step on the Path: I'm Not 100% Sure That God Exists



How's that for a provocative post title? I feel a bit like I would if I hadn't eaten for a couple days and then suddenly found myself standing with an empty plate before all the food selections at Old Country Buffet. I'm excited to dive in, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. There's so many places I want to go, and I'm afraid I will forget something if I don't get to it right away. But, I don't want my plate to become a jumbled mess of salads and casseroles, so I will attempt to approach this as logically as possible.

If I claim to have 100% knowledge of a thing, I must, by definition, invest myself totally in defending that "truth" at all costs and destroying anyone who disagrees.In my introductory posts, I alluded to the fact that many who discuss homosexuality and the Bible have an agenda that is slightly off-balance. It is a plague that seems to infect everyone of us at some points in our lives. That is, rather than viewing ourselves always as learners, sitting at Jesus' feet, we essentially assume we have arrived at a full knowledge of whatever topic is on the table, and we assume that we do, in fact, without question, know the mind of God on the matter.

This is a dangerous position for a Christian to take regarding any belief that we hold, no matter how fundamental. As an extreme example, let us assume I am talking to an atheist, and he asks me, "Do you believe God exists?" Without hesitation, I would say that I do. But, if he were to ask me, "Are you 100% sure that God exists?", I would, if I were choosing my words with the strongest commitment to truth possible, say, "No."

I can hear the gasps coming from the crowd already, but please hear me out on this...read through the post and then feel free to chew me out if you don't like what I say.

You see, I would tell my atheist friend that, for all practical purposes, I live my life and base my actions on the belief that God exists. So far as my belief affects my motives and actions, I operate as if I were 100% certain that God exists. Everything I have studied, observed, and experienced in my life confirms this to my heart. But, I cannot say 100% and be intellectually honest, simply because I am not omniscient. I do not have all knowledge of all things in all places at all times. Although I cannot imagine a scenario in which this fundamental belief in the existence of God could be shaken in my heart and mind, I cannot claim to be honest with myself and say that I know something that ultimately is a matter of faith beyond a certain point.

So, you ask, how does this affect anything? Well, if I claim to have 100% knowledge of a thing, I must, by definition, invest myself totally in defending that "truth" at all costs and destroying anyone who disagrees. Because it has become intertwined with who I am. However, if I am humble enough to admit that I am not all-knowing, I will listen to anyone with an opposing viewpoint without feeling threatened by him. My commitment is not to my own reputation, because I have not staked my reputation on any particular position. Rather, my commitment is to the truth. So, any discussion I have will have one of two outcomes: either I will be confirmed in my understanding of the truth as my belief holds up against any opposing viewpoint, or else I will be confronted with facts that show me errors in my thinking, and I will have the opportunity to better align myself with the truth.

So that is the approach we must have as we dive into these topics. We are all limited. None of us knows all. And it is contrary to the Scriptural commands of love to automatically assume that those who disagree with us are God-haters and immoral. That would be arrogant, prideful, and uncharitable. Conversely, it is not a sign of compromise to admit that we are human. I do not sacrifice one iota of ground in my belief in the existence of God by admitting that I do not have all-knowledge on the matter; in fact, I strengthen my position by admitting that I rest, not on my own personal weak reasoning, but rather I rest on the pursuit of truth.

So for those reading this blog who believe with certainty that homosexuality is immoral in all situations and circumstances, please understand that you do not "compromise" or "give up ground" by sitting down and working through these things with someone who disagrees. And for those who believe that homosexual relations can be valid and God-approved under some circumstances, you do yourself no favors by shutting out those who say things you may not want to hear. Our commitment must be to truth. That is the only thing that I will stake my reputation on--my determination that, by God's grace--I will always adjust my life to the truth that I learn, regardless of how long I have aligned myself elsewhere. That is the commitment of this blog, and I hope each of us will be able to approach our discussions with grace and charity. For we know that, even if the specifics of our understanding of the truth may not always be in sync with each other, still (in our imperfect, very-human way) we each are dedicated to the pursuit of the truth throughout our lives.

Such a commitment would transform these discussions into something eternally worthwhile.

0 comments: